Friday, March 22, 2013

The Kepler Track

The day after my kayak trip I had planned to start the Kepler Track.  With my blister all healed up I was ready to go.  The Kepler Track is one of the Great Walks of New Zealand.  The good thing is that the track is very maintained and when you go up in elevation it is usually pretty gradual.  The bad thing is there is more people on the track than desirable.  It took me 3 days to complete the track.  I camped the first night and stayed in a hut the second.  I was medium lucky with weather.  I had some great views but when i was approaching the summit of Mt Luxmore I was pretty socked in with clouds.  Here are my photos:
Lake surrounded by wetlands/bog on the first day
Fern forest
First day, coming out of the forest
Waterfall near my campsite
Since it was cloudyish I saw a lot of rainbows that day

This one was pretty epic

Kea - they are pesky parrots
Where the view started to disappear
Some alpine plants
Almost to Luxmore Hut

The sunrise from Luxmore Hut

No comments: